YouTube has a large user base. There are millions of people who watch and upload videos on YouTube every day. To cater to a wide variety of user needs, YouTube offers three options to upload content: public videos, private videos, and unlisted videos.
Not everyone wants to make their video content accessible to the entire globe. In such a case, unlisted videos provide a middle ground. You can upload the video but still control who can watch and access your video in unlisted video mode.
Let’s find out more about what does unlisted mean on YouTube in this article.
The unlisted video setting allows only viewers with the link to the video to watch the video content. In this way, you can choose your audience and share the link with only those people. An unlisted video does not appear in the search box results nor does it appear on a YouTube user’s feed. You can watch the unlisted video even though you don’t have a YouTube account and add it to your public playlist.
Unlisted vs Private YouTube
YouTube provides three privacy setting options to choose from. A public video feature is a default option available for the videos you upload. Whereas with private videos and unlisted video settings, you can choose who can watch your videos.
The private video setting allows you to choose the Google contacts you want to share the video with.
The following points will help you better understand the difference between the two settings:
1. In an unlisted video, anyone with the link can watch the video content. Whereas with private video, if anybody other than the invitee opens the link, he won’t be able to access it.
2. With an unlisted video, there is no limitation on the number of people who can watch the video using the link. But private videos allow only a maximum of 50 people whom you can share the link with.
3. You can leave comments on an unlisted video. The private video setting doesn’t allow people to drop comments on the video.
4. Unlisted video is visible on the landing page, but a private video isn’t visible on the landing page.
5. An unlisted video can be added to the YouTube channel, which is not the case with private videos.
Are Unlisted YouTube Videos Safe?
Unlisted videos are videos with a setting that allows only people with the link to see the video.
But it might not be a great idea to use the unlisted video setting if you are a security-conscious business. There is no guarantee that your intended viewer with whom you have shared the link does not forward it. If the video content on the unlisted video is sensitive information, the link can get leaked.
How to Upload Unlisted Video on YouTube
In simpler words, an unlisted video means a video that will not get listed on your search result or your account.
Follow these steps to upload an unlisted video on YouTube:
1. Log in to your YouTube account and click on the create icon at the top right corner of the screen to create new content.
2. Select Upload video.
3. Now tap on Select File and click on the file you want to upload or you can drag and drop the file.
4. Fill out the Details and Video Elements section as applicable. Click on Next until you reach the Visibility section.
5. From the drop down menu, select Unlisted. Schedule your video if needed, and then tap Save.
After following these 5 steps, your next task would be to share the link to the video with your selected viewers.
YouTube Private Channel
Imagine that you want to upload a video of your baby taking your first steps or your school reunion on YouTube. But if you go with default settings, your video is going to be public. With the help of a private channel, you can share the video with your group of friends and family.
Private videos won’t appear in public searches. Thus, it implies that they are ineligible for monetization, sharing, or embedding in a website.
Do Unlisted Video Views Count?
Only certain people with the link to the unlisted videos will be able to watch it. So if you are trying to monetize your account, unlisted videos are of no use to you. Because hours generated by unlisted videos will not get counted for monetization eligibility.
How to See Private Videos on YouTube Playlist
With a private video setting, you can store your video on YouTube, and still keep it private to yourself. You can also share this video with a small group of people you choose to share it with.
Private videos do not show up in searches or on the uploader’s profile. Only you, and the people with whom you share the link can view the video.
To watch a private video, use the link to the video to log in to the same YouTube account that has permission to watch that video.
How Do I Give Someone Access to a Private YouTube Video?
If you set the video visibility to Private, you can specify the people who can watch the video. You can share the link to this video with the people with whom you want to share the video.
Here’s how you can give access to a Private YouTube video:
1. Open YouTube Studio on your web browser. Sign in to your account.
2. Assuming that you have already uploaded the private video, go to the sidebar and click on Content.
3. On the right panel, select the private video you want to share. Now, in the Visibility column, select Private.
4. From the drop down menu that opens beneath Private, click on Share Privately.
5. A box titled Share Video Privately will appear. Here, you can enter the email addresses of the people you want to share the video with.
6. Check on Notify Over E-mail box, and click Done.
7. Tap on Save at the bottom.
Now your recipients will receive an email with the link to this video. They will have to sign in to their account using the same email id to watch the video.
FAQs: What Does Unlisted Mean on YouTube?
What happens if you watch an unlisted video on YouTube?
An unlisted video does not appear in search results or the video tab. Even the subscribers of the channel won’t get notified about the unlisted video. Only the people who have the link to the video shared by the uploader can watch it.
What is the point of unlisted YouTube videos?
Not everyone wants to get their content viral. Some would like to share the special moments in the video with selective people. The unlisted video setting allows you to share the link of the video only with specific people. These videos won’t appear in your search result, suggestions, or on the uploader’s account.
Can people see my unlisted YouTube videos?
Unlisted videos limit the number of audiences. The uploader will have to share the link of the video with the intended people whom they want to share the video with. Unlisted videos won’t appear in search results or suggestions.
Can you see who viewed your unlisted YouTube video?
No, it is not possible to know who viewed your unlisted YouTube video. But, you can know the views on the video like on public videos.
Do unlisted videos hurt your channel?
Unlisted videos do not help in monetization since you have limited the viewership. If your intention is to monetize the account, posting unlisted videos won’t be helpful.
Do unlisted videos notify subscribers?
No, subscribers do not get any notification for an unlisted Video.
Are unlisted videos safe?
With an unlisted video setting, you can share the link of this video only with certain people. This video won’t be visible or accessible to the public. Yet, if the video link gets shared via your intended viewer to others, they can watch it, too.
Using YouTube to store and archive content is becoming common nowadays. Both individual users and companies are trying to make the most out of YouTube. With an unlisted video setting, you can have the best of both private and public video features.
We hope that now you have a better understanding of what does unlisted mean on YouTube.
If you have any more queries regarding this topic, you can write to us in the comments.