The number of digital video viewers is only increasing day by day. Thus, video accessibility has become a priority. YouTube wants more and more people to understand the videos regardless of their ability or background. That’s why YouTube has introduced the closed caption(CC) feature. Closed captions are the visual display of the audio component in the video, that transcribes not only the spoken words but also the non-speech information such as background music and sound effects.
However, these closed captions can be inconvenient sometimes due to their inaccuracy caused by a lack of standard pronunciations.
Let’s see how to turn off closed caption on YouTube.
Closed Caption Settings
With the help of closed caption settings, you can use speech recognition technology to show text overlays on the video. You can enable it manually. Here are some of the reasons why closed captions are one of the best features on YouTube:
- Convenient for people with disabilities.
- A wider audience can be accommodated.
- Follows WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) 2.1 Accessibility Standards.
- With more reach comes increased SEO engagement.
How to Turn Off Closed Caption on YouTube TV
YouTube TV is a streaming service that allows its users to watch live television on mobile phones, laptops, and other compatible devices. It’s a convenient and credible option for people who are looking to cut the cord. It has both closed captions and subtitles.
Here are some ways by which you can turn off closed caption on YouTube TV:
YouTube TV on Chrome
- Open the YouTube app, and log in to your account.
- Select the video you want to watch.
- Tap on the CC icon for Closed Captions.
- Toggle to Off.
YouTube TV on Android App
- Open the YouTube app on your phone.
- Select the video you want to watch.
- Look for the CC icon when the video loads or go to the three-dot menu icon.
- Tap on the CC icon to turn it off.
YouTube TV on the iPhone or iPad
- Tap on the three-dot menu icon once the show has loaded on YouTube TV.
- Tap on closed captions and select a CC track.
How to Turn off Live Caption
The Live Caption feature uses technology to transcribe audio in real-time. It allows live streams to generate captions as the dialogue is spoken on the screen.
To turn off video for specific video:
- Just tap on the CC icon at the bottom of the video, and this will turn off the Live caption.
To disable live caption for all YouTube videos:
- Tap on the profile icon at the top of the screen and select the Settings option from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Playback and Performance section on the settings panel.
- Now, you will see two options to disable the live captions. To turn off caption, uncheck the Always show captions option.
How to Turn off Subtitles on YouTube Android
Adding a subtitle tab was one of the best features of YouTube, especially for tutors, home videos, and language tutorials. However, another good thing about this feature is that it can be turned on/off easily.
Here’s how you can turn off subtitles on YouTube through your android device:
- Go to the YouTube app on your mobile and tap on the user icon on the top right corner of the screen.
- Select the Settings option from the menu.
- Tap on Captions.
- Tap to the left on the toggle switch to turn off the subtitles.
How to Turn Off Closed Captions on Android
Closed Captions is a feature available for all video-on-demand. However, if you are wondering how to turn it off for some videos while you are using an Android device, follow these steps:
- Start the VOD playback or live stream, and tap on the screen to bring in the player controls.
- Tap on the CC or Closed Caption button from the player menu.
- Select Off to remove captions.
Pro Tip: Go to Settings in case you want to make any visual modifications to the appearance of Closed Captions.
FAQs: How to Turn Off Closed Caption on YouTube
How do I get rid of subtitles?
Follow the following method to remove subtitles on YouTube:
Open the video you want to stream→Click on the CC icon at the bottom of the video screen→From the closed-captioning menu, tap on the CC icon again.
How do I get rid of live captions?
Go to Account Settings→Move to Playback and Performance section from the Settings menu→Uncheck Always Show Captions.
Does YouTube TV have closed captioning?
Yes, YouTube does have a Closed Caption feature available on any device.
How do I turn off subtitles on YouTube permanently?
Go to YouTube accounts Setting page→Click Playback from the menu→Unselect Always show captions.
How do you change subtitles on YouTube mobile?
To change the language of Subtitles on YouTube on mobile:
Select More from the top-right corner of the video-player→Click on Captions→Select a language.
With the help of the steps discussed in this article, we hope it is clear to you how to turn off closed captions on YouTube. And that does seem like an effortless task, isn’t it?
If you have any more questions related to this topic, do write to us in the comments!
How to Add Pronouns on Instagram (Step-By-Step Guide)
How Can I Get My Instagram Back after Being Disabled (Guide)