If you’re wondering what a GIF is, it stands for Graphics Interchange Format. It’s an animated image file that does a wonderful job of connecting you with your followers. They are getting popular because like memes they help to communicate jokes and emotions.
While Instagram does not support posting GIFs directly, there are a few tricks you can use to get your way around it. Keep reading to find out how to post a GIF on Instagram.
You can post a GIF on Instagram by using third-party apps like GIPHY or turning your GIFs into short videos before uploading them:
1. Download the GIPHY app.
2. Find the GIF you want to share.
3. Tap on the paper plane icon next to the GIF to share it.
4. Choose Instagram.
5. Select Feed, chats, or Stories.
How to Post a GIF on Instagram from iPhone
Once you’ve downloaded GIPHY, follow these simple steps to know how to post a GIF on Instagram using your iPhone:
1. Open the GIPHY app on your iPhone.
2. Find GIF on GIPHY that you like.
3. Tap the paper plane icon located under the GIF.
4. Tap the Instagram button.
5. Click on Feed to post a 15-second looped GIF to your Instagram feed as a new post.
6. Click Next to add edits and filters to your Instagram post.
7. Click Next again to add your caption and hashtags.
8. Once your GIF post is created, tap Share.
Post GIF on Instagram Story
The easiest way to know how to post a GIF on Instagram Stories:
1. Go to your Instagram Stories and add a photo or video.
2. Click on the sticker icon, to go to the search bar.
3. A screen with GIFs will pop up.
4. Search and choose a GIF from the options provided.
5. Tap the GIF you like to use, and it will appear on top of your photo or video.
6. Zoom in/out to make your GIF larger or smaller.
7. Click Your Stories to share your Instagram Stories.
How to Post Gifs on Instagram without GIPHY
Instagram doesn’t support GIF files, but you can turn your GIF into a video and easily share it on Instagram. Once you download the GIF to your phone, you can use a third-party app to convert GIF to video like GIF Cracker, GIPHY Cam, and GIF to videos.
How to Upload Procreate GIF to Instagram
Procreate is an advanced digital illustration app created in collaboration with iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. It can be used to create graphics, paintings and animations.
GIF files are not compatible with Instagram. You need to first convert your GIF to a video file. To upload a Procreate GIF to Instagram:
- Save the animation as a video file.
- Open Instagram and create a new post. Click on select media and choose the video file.
- Click Next and add a caption. Select share to post the animation.
GIPHY is a platform used to create GIFS, animations, stickers and much more. It is used on platforms like Facebook Messenger, iMessage, Instagram, Snapchat and other widely popular social media channels.
On the GIPHY app, you can use Upload to send, store and share content:
1. Download the GIPHY app and tap the + to go to GIFMaker.
2. Press & hold on the shutter icon (O) to record a GIF.
3. Create a Caption by tapping the Aa button.
4. Select Next to proceed.
5. You can Add Tags to your GIFs.
6. Tap Upload to GIPHY!
FAQs: How to Post a GIF on Instagram
Why can’t I post a GIF on Instagram?
Instagram does not support .gif files and you can’t upload them directly to your feed from your camera roll. You will require a third-party app to convert the GIF into a file type supported by Instagram and then upload it.
How do I save a GIF as a video?
You may use a variety of third-party apps to turn a gif into a video and save it to your phone. GIFY, Adobe, and Filmora video editor are a few options to choose from.
Can you post a GIF on Instagram feed?
Instagram does not allow you to post GIFs directly. It needs to be converted into a video and then you can upload it.
1. Open GIPHY mobile app, and tap on the arrow button located under GIF.
2. Tap on the Instagram button.
3. Select Add the GIF as a post to your Feed.
4. An MP4 (15-second looped GIF) will be pushed into a post.
GIFs are a great way to share your emotions, humour and sarcasm with your audience. It helps you connect with your audience and increase engagement. Although Instagram does not support posting GIFs directly, you can use third-party apps to do the same.
Now that you know how to do it, go ahead and post GIF on Instagram to make it more fun.
If you have further questions, please let us know via your comments.