An Instagram collab post is a post that is shared by two users in their Feeds and/or Reels. The feature was launched in October 2021 to the general public. It’s a powerful tool that reflects the way creators and users interact with content.
We’ll walk you through the steps of how to collab post on Instagram.
Instagram Collab Post 2022
With an Instagram collab post, users share a single post on their Feeds or Reels. The users also share the likes, comments, and shares on the post.
One user creates the post and invites the other user to be a collaborator. Once the second user accepts, the collab post shows up in both users’ Feeds or Reels.
As of now, Instagram collab posts are only available for Feed posts and Reels. You cannot tag a collaborator in a Story or Live stream.
Instagram Collaboration Post Private Account
To get access to the Invite collaborator button, you need to have a public account.
You cannot use collab posts on Instagram with a private account.
However, the person you invite as a collaborator can accept even if they have a private account.
How to Collab Post on Instagram after Posting
It’s easy to create a collab post on Instagram. Here’s how:
- Create a Feed post or Reel.
- Click Tag people.
- Click Invite collaborator.
- Publish the post. Your collab post invitation will reach the user in their DMs.
- The post will remain hidden until your collaborator accepts your invitation.
- Once accepted, the post goes live.
Instagram Collab Post Not Working
There could be several reasons why your Instagram collab post is not working:
- It may not be available yet in your country.
- You may have a private account.
- You may not have the most recent version of the Instagram app. Check Google Play Store or App Store for updates.
- You may be trying to invite collaborators for Instagram Story or Live stream (which is not available yet).
If nothing else works, consider reporting the problem to Instagram. Go to Settings→Help→Report a Problem.
How to Collaborate on Instagram with Brands
If you’re a brand, promoting as a group with collab posts helps you maximize reach and discoverability. It also becomes resource-efficient. People will find your giveaways and prizes more tempting if you bundle goodies from two brands.
Four ways in which you (a creator) can find Instagram brand collaborations are:
- Check brands that use Instagram paid ads.
- Contact brands that engage with your content.
- Look up influencer marketing platforms.
- Check which brands your competition is collaborating with.
However, if you’re partnering with a brand on a collab post, you still need to disclose if it’s a paid partnership to stay compliant with regulator guidelines.
How to Collab on Instagram Reels
- Create an Instagram Reel as usual and click Tag people just before you post it.
- Click the button called Invite collaborator below the Reel.
- A search box opens up in which you have to type the username of the person you want to invite.
- Type the username and click their Instagram account from the search results.
- Now, you’ll see a collaborator tag next to the username of the person you’ve chosen.
- Write your caption and publish the Reel.
- Once your invited person accepts the invitation, the Reel will go live.
Instagram Collaboration Rules
A few Instagram collaboration rules you should be aware of:
- You should have a public account to create collab posts.
- You can tag up to 20 collaborators per post.
- You have to disclose if it’s a paid partnership according to regulatory guidelines.
- You can create collab posts for Reels and Feed posts only.
How to Accept a Collaboration on Instagram
- You will receive a notification in your Instagram DM once you’re invited as a collaborator.
- Click View invite. You will now see the post created by the person who invited you.
- In the bottom-right corner, you will see a blue Review button. Click it.
- Now you’ll see a menu with options to Accept, Decline, or Cancel.
- Click Accept. The collab post will appear on your profile and will be shared with your followers.
- In the collab post, your username will also appear next to the original creator’s username.
FAQ: How to Collab Post on Instagram
How many followers do you need for collab?
You need at least 1,000 followers to start Instagram collaborations with brands. The Instagram Collab post feature is available to all irrespective of number of followers.
Can you promote Instagram collabs?
You can save money on ad campaigns by collaborating with an account on Instagram with many followers. Since a collab post taps into the follower base of the co-author, you don’t need to promote the post separately.
How do you ask influencers to collab?
Brand Collabs Manager is a free marketplace for brands and U.S. influencers to connect and do collaborations.
How do you write a DM for collaboration?
Since brands get a large number of pitches every day, it may be more helpful to write an email instead.
How do collaborations work?
Instagram collab posts work by tapping into each co-author’s follower base to increase engagement and reach.
We hope you will successfully create many collab posts on Instagram. For further questions, please use the comments section.