The Internet has always been a public place–and Instagram is no different. You may feel the need to draw some boundaries for people who just don’t get it. You can keep annoying people away in a variety of ways like using the Close Friends option to share content selectively or the Mute option to remove people you don’t want to hear from.
If none of these methods is enough, let us explain how to block someone on Instagram.
How to Block Someone on Instagram without Them Knowing
When you block someone on Instagram, they are not sent a notification. However, if they get suspicious about not receiving updates and/or responses from you, they may check to see if they can access your profile. Then they can determine that they have been blocked.
- Your likes and comments will disappear from their posts.
- They will not be able to tag or mention you in their posts.
How to Block Someone on Instagram from Messaging You
If you block someone on Instagram, they cannot send messages to you.
Steps to block someone on Instagram:
- Launch the Instagram app and find the person you want to block by using the Search feature.
- If the person follows you, you can scroll through the list of Followers to find them.
- Go to the page of the person you want to remove.
- In the top right corner of the screen on the profile page, click on the three horizontal dots.
- Click Block. Click Block once more to confirm your action.
Also Read: How to Know If Someone Blocked You on Instagram (Quick Tips)
How to Block Someone on Instagram Story
When you block someone, they cannot view your Stories. The steps to block someone on Instagram have been given previously.
How to Unblock Someone on Instagram
Blocking someone on Instagram is not a permanent option. You can unblock them if you want to reverse your actions.
- Launch the Instagram app and click the person icon at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- You will be led to your profile, where you will find three horizontal dots in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Go to Settings→Privacy→Blocked Accounts.
- You will find your Instagram block list, from where you have to go to the account of the person you want to unblock.
- Click the Unblock button in the middle of their profile page.
- Click Unblock again to confirm your action.
If You Block Someone on Instagram Can They Still See DMs You’ve Sent Them?
Yes, the person you have blocked can see the DMs you have sent prior to the blocking action.
How to Unblock Someone on Instagram without Username
If you cannot find the profile of the person you want to unblock and/or you don’t know their username, you cannot unblock the account.
FAQs: How to Block Someone on Instagram
What’s the difference between Block and Restrict on Instagram?
When you restrict someone on Instagram, they cannot see your online status or know whether you have read their messages. Only they can see any new comments they put up on your posts. You can choose to let others see these new comments by clicking Approve, and again clicking Approve to confirm your action.
How do you know if someone blocked and unblocked you on Instagram?
When someone blocks you on Instagram, you automatically unfollow them. When they unblock you, you are still not following them. If you find yourself unfollowing a person–and you haven’t done it–it is likely that they blocked and then unblocked you.
Can you soft block on Instagram?
Soft block refers to blocking and then quickly unblocking. The action causes the blocked person to automatically unfollow them.
Instagram will not notify the blocked person about getting blocked or unblocked.
You can also ignore posts by people by clicking the three horizontal dots in the top-right corner of the profile page, and choosing Mute Posts→Mute.
How can I hide my Instagram from someone without blocking them?
You can hide your Instagram from people without blocking them in the following ways:
- Switch to a Private profile.
- Temporarily limit accounts or groups of accounts from commenting on your posts.
- Restricting people from seeing when you’re online or letting others see when they comment on your posts.
- Soft blocking, causing them to automatically unfollow you.
When you block someone on Instagram do they unfollow you?
Yes, when you block someone on Instagram they automatically unfollow you.
There are many ways to block someone on Instagram such as soft blocking and restricting people. Let us know if you have more questions about blocking and unblocking someone on Instagram.
How to See Blocked People on Instagram